Tuesday, April 17, 2012

4/17/12

Hey guys!  Sorry I can't be with you today - meetings all day.  So you're on your own today.  I bet you have some questions about  how to proceed with your Bones and Muscles project.  Hopefully this post will help give you some direction, but if all else fails, don't panic!  You can always just do vocabulary for chapter 17, and start reading/outlining the chapter.  I will touch base with you tomorrow and give some more guidance if you are struggling.

Here's my thought.  I'd like you to learn at least 60% of what is covered in Chapter 17.  You need to also learn at least 15 new bones (start with the basic ones if you don't already know them).  The other 40% of your learning will be activities of your own choosing.  You will need to make a plan for your own learning this week.  What 60% of the book will you commit to learning, and what will you be doing for the other 40%?  At some point today, please leave a comment on this post, sharing your goals.  If you are struggling with what goals to set, go ahead and see what the other students have left, and use that for inspiration.

You will use Prezi to chart your learning goals, progress, and activities.  This is your digital notebook.  Also, it's an experiment.  Let's see what we can do with this!  At the end of this period, please see if you can share your prezi with me by clicking the "share together" link and emailing me the code.  My email address is tnorton@plattecanyonsd1.org.

Here are some of the resources I have used in past years, teaching about bones and muscles.  Feel free to use any of these as a starting point.

Vocabulary Quizlet

17 Chapter.ppt

Interactive Skeleton Puzzle

Bones in Space (Article)

Exercise in Space Videos

Advanced - Bones of the skull - http://www.gwc.maricopa.edu/class/bio201/skull/SkullSlideshow1/index_PP1.htm

Bones for beginners!  link

Interactive labeled skeleton http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/body/factfiles/skeleton_anatomy.shtml

 A website you might find helpful:  http://www.dmturner.org/Teacher/Library/5thText/SkelPart2.html

This website has the bonus vocabulary and some more advanced content:  http://kidshealth.org/PageManager.jsp?dn=KidsHealth&lic=1&ps=107&cat_id=20090&article_set=22888

Bones for Nerds - this is another skeleton-building exercise, but the content is more advanced.   http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/body/interactives/3djigsaw_02/index.shtml?skeleton

 Virtual Knee Replacement Surgery:  http://www.edheads.org/activities/knee/

Virtual Hip Replacement Surgery:  http://www.edheads.org/activities/hip/

Medical Animation of knee replacements http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Aoo_nFpDd4


 1.  Cranium
2.  Mandible
3.  Clavicle
4.  Sternum
5.  Humerus
6.  Radius
7.  Ulna
8.  Scapula
9.  Vertebrae
10.  Rib cage
11.  Pelvis
12.  Femur
13.  Patella
14.  Tibia
15.  Fibula

A. Zygomatic Arch
B.  Xyphoid Process
C.  Carpals
D.  Metacarpals
E.  Phalanges
F.  Tarsals
G.  Metatarsals
H.  Cervical Vertebrae
I.  Thoracic Vertebrae
J.  Lumbar Vertebrae
K.  Coccyx

29 comments:

  1. i have set a goal of learning twenty bones and 10 muscles

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goals are to study all of the questions that i got right on the test and the questions that i did get right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://prezi.com/tydh5ljkwqhp/edit/?auth_key=ka923cv&follow=j-vcwm77yikf
    this is the link to my prezi

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://prezi.com/veep7nggfuns/edit/?auth_key=rigcdai&follow=hsjj4sqsn5xx

    no email so this is the code

    ReplyDelete
  5. my goals are to learn most of the joints bones and muscles in the body

    ReplyDelete
  6. My goals are to Know most bones and types of joints and most muscles

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my goals is to create an effective studying tactic on prezi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Divine Matthews :)April 17, 2012 at 8:46 AM

    My goals are to know some of the bones and most of the muscles and maby some of the joints :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chris M

    I will learn all 32 of the bone and strive to get 100 on the test

    ReplyDelete
  10. jessy criscoe



    i will learn bones

    ReplyDelete
  11. jessy criscoe
    http://prezi.com/youpk_nesw9-/edit/?auth_key=yrbpkpz&follow=vlxo368swnka

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would like to learn all the bones and all the muscles

    ReplyDelete
  13. My goal for this chapter is to know all 15 Vocab words word for word and know at least 21 bones in the body.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My goal for this project is to learn the vocab, and bones like on the pretest. Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would like to Finish my vocab and start my outline for chapter 17.I will try to learn as many bones as possible.
    Christian Zimmerman

    ReplyDelete
  16. My Goal is to lern as many bones as posible and be cool fro Ryley

    ReplyDelete
  17. One of my goals is to learn at least 80% of the bones in the body. Also to learn joints and muscles in the body.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My plan is to learn at 10-15 more bones and the vocab.
    Katy

    ReplyDelete
  19. My Goal is to learn all the bones and learn about how some of them work. I also want to read over the vocab of ch. 17
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  20. My goal is to learn at least 18 bones and to learn a little bit about bone marrow. I would also like to look over the vocab words for chapter 17 and learn something new.

    -Kealey

    ReplyDelete
  21. my goals are to learn what types of joints are where andall the scientific names to mucles and bones

    -matt

    ReplyDelete
  22. http://prezi.com/9ggzxcmjrvv4/edit/#3 link to my prezi

    -matt

    ReplyDelete
  23. My goal is to learn all 28 of the bones on the test
    nick huels

    ReplyDelete
  24. My goal is to learn 28 bones.
    brittany huey

    ReplyDelete
  25. My goalis to learn 10 more bones than I already know. I also want to be able to name at least 10 muscles.

    JM

    ReplyDelete
  26. My goal is to learn the joints in the body

    ReplyDelete
  27. My goal is to learn 10 bones that i don't already know, and be able to name 5 muscles.
    DS :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. i took a arrow in the knee

    ReplyDelete
  29. my goal is to learn most of the bones and muscles and their functions

    ReplyDelete

Please add a comment to this post. Choose the "post anonymously" button, but be sure to sign your comment with your first name, and last initial only. I need to know who writes each comment, but the rest of the world does not! (-: